When was the gym built?
The current gym building was completed in 1945. The western part of the building containing the stage area was added in 1952.
Is this the original gym building?
No, the original gym. which was built along with Union High Schools was destroyed in a fire on May 1, 1944. According to the Redmond Spokesman, the fire was set by a 14-year-old serial arsonist who explained he “just couldn’t help it.”
How much space is available in the building?
The gym, former locker rooms and stage area total approximately 19,500 square feet.
What condition is the building in?
Inspections conducted in 2011 found the presence of hazardous materials (lead paint and asbestos) and also identified structural modifications needed to bring the building up to modern building standards. In addition the building has suffered deterioration and vandalism in the years it has been unoccupied.More to come…